Wednesday 15 August 2012

Free Time: Vanilla Cupcakes & Macarons

Free time posts! These don't entail recipes, just some salivating-worthy photos for eye candy.

My friend and I made a whole big batch of mini vanilla cupcakes and a couple batches of macarons over the weekend (as a part of product testing for the business), check it out?


A friend (friend of a friend) was nice enough to let us storm in with our ridiculous amounts of baking equipment, ingredients, loud voices, and just take over the place. 


Aren't they adorable? We faced off Joy of Baking cupcakes against Martha Stewart cupcakes.


Chocolate Macarons using the Italian Meringue method where a hot sugar syrup is poured into the egg whites while being beaten. Very tricky method but definitely glossier macarons. The ruffles underneath are also different per method.


After making the Swiss Meringue Buttercream. Delicious.
I had a slightly different experience making the Swiss Meringue Buttercream this time round. I made the meringue then beat the butter seperately (as I did last time). I mixed them together and it hit this curdled-looking stage. I once read that when the butter hits the meringue, it sometimes hits a curdled stage but if you continue beating, it comes out just fine.

That's what I did LAST time but it just kept getting more liquid and more liquid, so I thought that was a complete myth. This time, I kept beating it and it turned out to be the most light, glossy, and perfect frosting there could ever be. I could not have been more happy. Still not sure how to remedy a situation like the first time (where it turned to liquid) but I'm sure I'll work it out.


And that's my spare time! Enjoy.

- Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment