Friday 31 August 2012

Catering: Rotman Commerce Students' Association (Informal) Leader Social

My first catering job (of many, hopefully)! By 'my' I'm referring to my baking business with my partner, Lizzie. Our website is coming soon.

This was the Rotman Commerce Students' Association (Informal) Leader Social - Rotman Commerce is my current study of program, for context - and this event was aimed at gathering student leaders for a fun social event prior to the start of another crazy school year. 

It was a classy tea party setting with a presentation at the end of the room. Macarons, cupcakes, sandwiches, biscuits, and tea were served.
My partner and I prepared 3 types of cupcakes and 4 types of macarons for the event. We delivered them for the first section of the social - the tea party portion. I made the 3 cupcakes - vanilla, chocolate, & red velvet, and 1 of the macarons - salted caramel. My partner made the other 3 macarons - rose, lemon, vanilla/chocolate. 

Everything was brought to the event unfrosted and I piped prior to the event

Red Velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and vanilla cupcakes (with chocolate chips) and chocolate frosting

Vanilla cupcakes moments after I piped the frosting

Red velvet cupcakes and vanilla cupcakes decorated with candy pearls

Salted Caramel Macarons!

Lizzie made all of these macarons in one night! 

Almost everything! Another tray of cupcakes sat behind the box of macarons. Isn't this a feast for the eyes?

I loved this about the tea party - the array of teas, all from Davids' Tea.

Setting up at the social - very classy.


Chocolate chip peaking out from inside the cupcake
The 'Pink Flamingo' tea smelled delicious
A rose macaron sitting proudly on top




Members of the Students' Association setting up the cupcakes 

Things I learned through this experience:
- To be a little more realistic with how much I can accomplish in a certain length of time
- I've got miles to go in perfecting the Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- To get a weekly pass for public transportation during these events
- To buy cheaper ingredients and have them all at once!

I had a great time setting up for this event though! I thought it was such a cute idea.

If you attended and had any of the cupcakes or macarons, leave your comments, concerns, and suggestions! I've definitely still got work to do on the Vanilla cupcakes as they have a hard time being moist, but I'm only getting better!

Thanks for stopping by!

- Jane



2 comments:

  1. So wait, did you provide the super nice plates and presentation dishware? If you incorporate that into the business, along with tea and teapots and cups and whatnot, then I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Ben, the perks (and I say this with deep sarcasm) of being broke are that you have no money for nice plates and cutlery. Fear not though, when the money starts pouring it, they will be provided.

      Delete